Saturday, March 19, 2011

My Dream

One day after a long day of teaching, I was in my classroom and in walks my principal, her cousin and his partner.  Turner, the cousin, is a teacher himself and was telling me about this school he started in New Orleans named Our School at Blair Grocery.  He started telling me about how he was helping students that have similar backgrounds to my students and how his school and urban farming has helped them.  I was immediately interested.  That was last April.

In February I connected with Turner again and told him I have to do something.  I am tired of my students, who are adjudicated youth, not getting jobs because of there backgrounds!  He said he going to be in Minnesota in March and I am going to contact some people that maybe able to help.  E-mails started flying and people started  showing up and offering potential resources and ideas.

Turner came and yesterday we met with some amazing people that are willing to help me with my  dream.

What is my dream?  Well here it is... I am a Careers Teacher at a treatment setting that services adjudicated youth.  I have been there for four years and have seen time after time my students be rejected for employment because of their records.  My dream is to have a Greenhouse in the Urban setting that will be an opportunity to employ my students regardless of their backgrounds, to learn skills and training in an area that is resourceful and lawful, and to give them an opportunity to be reconnected to their communities in a positive way.

I have made some promising connections.  I have my amazing students, motivation and I am going to get training at Growing Power.  I need land, materials, more gardening knowledge, and funding. 

Hope you keep checking in on my journey.

Margy

No comments:

Post a Comment